As I understand the term コンペ先 translates as a "competitor" (edit: from the examples in the answer, I think "contestant" seems more appropriate as there is an unspoken requirement for some contest or tender).

In a business situation in which there is company X asking for bids, and three companies: A, B, and C take part in a tender, which of the following is the proper use case:

1. A calling B a コンペ先
  2. X calling A a コンペ先

Or are both correct?

1 Answer 1

Apparently this can be used in many ways, depending on the context.

X calling A a コンペ先 (コンペ先=コンペ参加者・提案側):

• 仕事の引き合いがあった時は必ず、競合状態をクライアントにつくってもらうんです。つまり、コンペ先をそろえてもらい、正当に競争してもらうことをルール化しています。 (source)
  • 「A社やB社にも相談するようにって言われているんだよね…」(略)有名企業で実績を残してきた人だけに、声掛けするコンペ先にも人脈があるようだった。(source)
  • 「この提案内容で、コンペ先のXX氏に、担当してもらおうかな。あっちは、内容は時間不足でいまイチだったけど(略)頼もしかったからな…」(source)

A calling X a コンペ先 (コンペ先=コンペ主催者):

• フォトコンペ先から『出品票の最終確認」ってメールが来たから、とあるURLをクリック。コンペ参加者の作品全部がアップロードされてみんなの作品を目の当たりにする・・・なう (source)
  • コンペ先募集:現在、コンペに参加させてくださる少女漫画雑誌様(少女漫画でなくても勿論歓迎です)を募集しております。 (source)
  • コンペに参加することができました。このときに大切な出会いがありました。(中略)彼はコンペ先の地主さんのアドバイザーをしていたのです。(source)

A calling B a コンペ先 (コンペ先=競合他社・ライバル):

• 一緒に案件獲得に臨んだ技術者からは、「お前とオレが組んでコンペ先に負ける訳ないだろ」と言って頂けるようになりました。(source)
  • 営業なのに何一つ売ることのできない状況を経験し、本当に需要がある物は何か?を常に考るようになりました。(略) 顧客からコンペ先(競合)が世界大手のBOSHやGEだと聞く事もしばしば・・・。(source)
  • Thank you, I've learnt more than I asked for. For first and third pattern a "contestant" would be more appropriate English term. But using it both for contestant and contest holder is quite unique, I guess. Are you sure the second example in the second section (コンペ先募集) does not belong to the first one? X is looking for contestants.
    – macraf
    Sep 6, 2015 at 7:29
    She's a manga artist looking for a competition, so I think it belongs to the second pattern. 先 is a term which refers to "the other patry/side (as opposed to ourselves)".
    – naruto
    Sep 6, 2015 at 7:56
  • You are perfectly right. I misunderstood the website concept (initially considered it an answer on a kind of forum, not a whole private site). And thus it is a very good example.
    – macraf
    Sep 6, 2015 at 8:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .