As I understand the term コンペ先 translates as a "competitor" (edit: from the examples in the answer, I think "contestant" seems more appropriate as there is an unspoken requirement for some contest or tender).

In a business situation in which there is company X asking for bids, and three companies: A, B, and C take part in a tender, which of the following is the proper use case:

1. A calling B a コンペ先
  2. X calling A a コンペ先

Or are both correct?

Apparently this can be used in many ways, depending on the context.

X calling A a コンペ先 (コンペ先=コンペ参加者・提案側):

• 仕事の引き合いがあった時は必ず、競合状態をクライアントにつくってもらうんです。つまり、コンペ先をそろえてもらい、正当に競争してもらうことをルール化しています。 (source)
  • 「A社やB社にも相談するようにって言われているんだよね…」(略)有名企業で実績を残してきた人だけに、声掛けするコンペ先にも人脈があるようだった。(source)
  • 「この提案内容で、コンペ先のXX氏に、担当してもらおうかな。あっちは、内容は時間不足でいまイチだったけど(略)頼もしかったからな…」(source)

A calling X a コンペ先 (コンペ先=コンペ主催者):

• フォトコンペ先から『出品票の最終確認」ってメールが来たから、とあるURLをクリック。コンペ参加者の作品全部がアップロードされてみんなの作品を目の当たりにする・・・なう (source)
  • コンペ先募集:現在、コンペに参加させてくださる少女漫画雑誌様(少女漫画でなくても勿論歓迎です)を募集しております。 (source)
  • コンペに参加することができました。このときに大切な出会いがありました。(中略)彼はコンペ先の地主さんのアドバイザーをしていたのです。(source)

A calling B a コンペ先 (コンペ先=競合他社・ライバル):

• 一緒に案件獲得に臨んだ技術者からは、「お前とオレが組んでコンペ先に負ける訳ないだろ」と言って頂けるようになりました。(source)
  • 営業なのに何一つ売ることのできない状況を経験し、本当に需要がある物は何か?を常に考るようになりました。(略) 顧客からコンペ先(競合)が世界大手のBOSHやGEだと聞く事もしばしば・・・。(source)
  • Thank you, I've learnt more than I asked for. For first and third pattern a "contestant" would be more appropriate English term. But using it both for contestant and contest holder is quite unique, I guess. Are you sure the second example in the second section (コンペ先募集) does not belong to the first one? X is looking for contestants. – macraf Sep 6 '15 at 7:29
    She's a manga artist looking for a competition, so I think it belongs to the second pattern. 先 is a term which refers to "the other patry/side (as opposed to ourselves)". – naruto Sep 6 '15 at 7:56
  • You are perfectly right. I misunderstood the website concept (initially considered it an answer on a kind of forum, not a whole private site). And thus it is a very good example. – macraf Sep 6 '15 at 8:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.