So far, the word そうです is used to express "hearsay" sentences with I who is implicitly defined as the listener.

• 彼女は結婚したそうです。I heard that the woman got married.
  • あなたは合格したそうです。I heard that you passed.

My questions:

How is the sentence below in Japanese? If I want to say, for example.

The woman heard that I passed the test.

• Where is "heresay" in "The woman heard that I passed the test."? I think it would be translated as 「彼女は私が試験に合格したことを聞いた。」 – 永劫回帰 Sep 5 '15 at 22:03
  • "I passed the test" is a hearsay that the woman heard. It doesn't have to be true. Would the following convey this difference in meaning 「彼女は私が試験に合格したということを聞いた」? – macraf Sep 7 '15 at 8:57

If you did pass the test:
~ことを聞いた 
~と聞いた   

If you did not pass the test, or there was not even a test:
~ことを聞いた*
~と聞いた

The usage of こと reflects the presupposition of truth on passing the test from the speaker's point of view.

*denotes unacceptability

I think it's very insightful of you to distinguish whether it really happened or not, but the "false" case has to be ~と聞いた, then it'll deserve +1. – broccoli forest Sep 8 '15 at 16:53
  • @broccoliforest can ~と聞いた take on " ~ true" ? or is "false" definite? – Flaw Sep 9 '15 at 2:09
  • <100% confidence. If you think you definitely passed, then you can't use it. – broccoli forest Sep 9 '15 at 3:31
  • @broccoliforest how about という? the lifting of truth presupposition is not necessarily true right? – Flaw Sep 9 '15 at 3:52
  • という only connects to nominals, and if you attach こと, it'll become true. – broccoli forest Sep 9 '15 at 3:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.