I just learned about 況や and 況して, I tried to search for some detailed grammar point but nothing...

Are they the same? I saw both mean "not to mention..." but they seem different from the way I saw them used.

Can they be used in everyday life?

誰にも倒されない・・・況してお前だ! : I will not be defeated... certainly not by you!

Is it correct if I say that? If yes what does it change to add a 「や」 to 「況して」?

日本の経済はやばいよね。況や起こってる政治問題。: The economy of Japan is in a bad shape... Not to mention the current politic issues.

Is this one correct?

Thanks!

いわんや is archaic and is rarely used in the everyday language. However, まして or ましてや is still used. Examples would be:

魚も食べられないのだから、まして肉など論外だ
魚も食べられないのだから、ましてや肉など論外だ

They both have the same meaning, but ましてや gives a bit more emphasis and is also a bit more archaic.

To your examples: 誰にも倒されない・・・況してお前だ! does sound ungrammatical, you'd have to say something like 誰にも倒されない・・・況してお前にはな!.

Same for 日本の経済はやばいよね。況や起こってる政治問題. You'd have to change it to e.g.:日本の経済はやばいよね。況や今の政治問題はもっとやばい。

• First thank you for your great answer that`s exactly what I needed! And yes my sentences sounded wrong to me thanks for correcting! – Tchang Sep 5 '15 at 10:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.