What is the difference in meaning between:

(1) お調べいただいた上{うえ}、注文通りの品をお送り下さいますよう、お願いします。
(2) お調べいただき、注文通りの品を送り下さいますよう、お願いします。

I understand #2.

(2) Upon your looking into the matter, please send me the stuff I ordered.

I can't figure-out how to voice "いただいた上、" in English in my head. I want a strict translation, not a paraphrase. Nothing is clicking for me, but this is my best try:

(1) Please look into the matter, and then based on what (I expect) you to find, send me the stuff I ordered.

Also, I am seriously hoping that "" was dropped off the end of "いただいた上、".

X as a prerequisite for Y:

X is what must be done before Y.

X いただいた上、Y してください。

After (and only after) doing X, do Y.

X and or then Y:

The order of completing X and Y is not strictly emphasized.

X いただき、Y してください。

Do X, and do Y.

See how (1) is asking a little more explicitly that you actually read the document before signing:

1. お読みいただいた上、こちらにご署名{しょめい}ください。

After reading (the document), sign your name here.

1. お読みいただき、こちらにご署名{しょめい}ください。

Read (the document), and sign your name here.

It would be weird to say (1) when the order doesn't matter:

1. フォークはこちらに置{お}いていただいた上、スプーンはこちらに置{お}いてください。

After putting the forks here, put the spoons here.

1. フォークはこちらに置{お}いていただき、スプーンはこちらに置{お}いてください。

Put the forks here, and put the spoons here.

You're right. The "で" has been dropped off the end of "いただいた上で、".

Check this page (http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=uede) for other examples, including a note lower down that this can be dropped.

• yes. I know the "上で" grammar. But, it seems #1 is forced in this scenario. #2 is slick, fast, "A-いただき、B-下さいますように、お願い". In #1, when I hit "いただいた上で、" my world stops. "いただいた上で、" can have so much meaning. "上で" is an abstract way to connect clauses. And, I don't feel the abstractness. Now, I blow by that phrase and take an educated guess. I need to do better than this on JLPT... – kairua Sep 3 '15 at 0:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.