Can't understand Kanji, so please use furigana in answers :)

Context: I'm using Rosetta stone, so there's just pictures. The picture accompanying the first sentence is a girl sleeping on a beach, the picture for the second sentence is just some random guy in mid-stride, walking on top of a mountain.

おんなのこは かいがんで ねています

おとこのひとは やまを あるいています

I'm confused about the use of で in one and the use of を in the other. As I understand it, で implies wandering around inside some fixed borders, whereas を indicates going through a location.

Would I be right in thinking the first sentence uses で to imply the girl is sleeping on the beach/within the borders of the beach, and を implies the man is walking through the mountains, not within them?

~を together with an motional intransitive verb means "through ~" as you correctly figured out.

~に before an motional verb defines the destination of the movement.

These two uses can't be applied on 寝{ね}る (*) though, because sleeping obviously doesn't contain any motion. I prefer to think of the ~で particle as a "context marker". In which context are you sleeping? In the locational context of the beach. Or another example: かぜで [学校]{がっこう}を[休]{やす}んだ。 In the context of/because of a cold, I didn't go to school.

(*) As snailboat pointed out, 寝る does not only have the meaning "to sleep", but "to lie down" as well. Of course this is a motion and can be put together with ~に, for example: かいがんに寝る means "to lie down on the beach".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.