In attempting to write about wearing ankle weights for the day, I found myself at a loss for which verb was appropriate.

• 巻く seems like it could be appropriate since they wrap around the ankle - in which case, it would also work for wrist weights. By this logic, I'd consider 着る for weighted vests, since they are worn like a normal vest with added straps.
  • 締める seems appropriate since they fasten with velcro and straps (which could also work for weighted vests and wrist weights).
  • 履く is a possibility since they're worn on the lower body, which would again make 着る the best option for weighted vests. I haven't the foggiest on which would be appropriate for wrist weights in this instance. する, maybe?

Which word would be appropriate for each type of weight?

I would say:

アンクルウェイトを【つける、足首に巻く、装着する】
リストウェイトを【つける、手首に巻く、装着する】
ウェイトベストを【着る、着用する、maybe 装着する、つける】

• I am not sure if the つける is 着ける or 付ける... – Chocolate Sep 2 '15 at 5:56
  • I believe it can be either, as naruto demonstrates above. – jimbotherisenclown Sep 2 '15 at 6:07
    So I'd use つける in Hiragana, like most people do on the Internet... (ウェイトをつけて>>156000 results, ウェイトを付けて>>99200, ウェイトを着けて>>4950) – Chocolate Sep 2 '15 at 6:17
  • ウェイトを付ける/着ける is the safest, common choice in this case. Both for ankle and wrist weights.
  • ウェイトを巻く is fine if you want to use a more specific verb.
  • ウェイトを装着する is also OK, but may sound too technical in casual conversations.
  • ウェイトを締める is acceptable, but sounds a bit off. It's usually specifically used for belts.
  • ウェイトを着る: wrong.
  • ウェイトを履く: wrong because it's only for shoes and socks shoes, socks, trousers, underpants, etc.
  • 靴と靴下だけではなく、ズボンやパンツも履きますよね。 – marasai Sep 2 '15 at 5:58
  • @marasai 仰る通りです…修正しました – naruto Sep 2 '15 at 6:01
  • Given that you mention 付ける/着ける are appropriate for wrist and ankle weights, would they be incorrect for weighted vests? – jimbotherisenclown Sep 2 '15 at 6:04
  • @jimbotherisenclown Sorry, I was not aware that you're also asking for vests. See choko's answer for that. – naruto Sep 2 '15 at 6:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.