I know there are different ways to get the sense of 'although..., but...' in a sentence. Too many ways for me to be clear about how to express it at all, to be honest. In Chinese it's as simple as can be: 虽然。。。但是。Is there an equivalent in Japanese that suits most situations, independent from style and politeness level? Also, if you happen to know of a good Chinese-Japanese Dictionary I'd be more than happy with your recommendation.

Greets, Touming

• Ask a native speaker about "~~にしても、....". But, I think it can be deceptive because I think that "~~にしても、..." sometimes should be translated into the subjunctive mood, and "although ..." cannot be in the subjunctive mood. – david Sep 1 '15 at 1:18
  • Am I correct that what you need is a word translates "although", and "but" is not really relevant? Your Chinese 虽然...但是 seems to correspond to "although" altogether. – broccoli forest Sep 15 '15 at 17:11

To me, が seems to be the thing you're looking for. It is most commonly known as the "subject marking particle", but can also be placed at the end of a clause to create the sense of "although" or "but".

For example:

今日はいい天気だ、遊びに行きたくない。
Although the weather is nice today, I don't want to go play.

This type of が can also be used in polite sentences:

私は日本に行ったことがあります日本語がぜんぜんできません。
Although I've been to Japan before, I can't speak Japanese at all.

I'm not sure if this is very polite, but at least in a casual setting you can use のに:

天気がよかったのに、散歩に行きませんでした。

Although the weather was fine, I didn't go for a walk.

I think a more formal way of expressing a similar construction is using ながら:

寒いながら、ジャケット着ずに待ちました。

Although it was cold, I waited without putting my jacket on.

Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure the example above are correct, probably a native speaker could correct me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.