I'm trying to read a short story whose theme (I think?) is that in order to have self-awareness other people are necessary. Like, they act as abstract mirrors to view oneself (or something...). So, I totally do not understand the usage of "おる" in the following sentence:

自分一人だけで立ってはおらず、他人がいて初めて自己という存在が認識できる。

So, I roughly diagram the sentence:

(おらず) being all by yourself, it is from the existence of other people that one begins to have self-recognition.

ok. So, "おる" is the humble form of "いる".

<1> While I am almost sure you cannot say "いず" for "居る", you can say "おらず" for "おる"?
<2> What is the meaning of that "おらず"? How do you translate the entire sentence?
<3> This is an objective philosophical essay. Why are honorifics used at all?

thank you.

Why do you think you can't say いず? And おる is sometimes used simply to sound loftier than いる. – Aeon Akechi Aug 29 '15 at 19:11
  • I think "いず" has 3 steps: (1) to exist, (2) to not exist, (3) to begin existing again. That doesn't make sense. But, I'm sure "いず" is correct grammar. – kairua Aug 29 '15 at 20:27
  • いず is basically a more formal way to say いなくて or いないで. I'm not sure what you mean by those steps. – Aeon Akechi Aug 29 '15 at 21:36
    @Nothingatall What I was trying to say, and still sort of believe: "飛ばずに" means (1) it must have the potential to fly, (2) when it "飛ばずに" it commits to not flying, but only for a period of time, (3) after the "飛ばずに" period is over, it once again has the potential to fly. "飛ばなくて" has no sense of a time period. But.... I'm very wrong because my understanding does not allow for the idea of "いず". – kairua Aug 29 '15 at 22:12
    I can't find a source, but I don't think there's any humbleness implied by おる here; I think it's just used because おらず is a nicer form than いず. Along these same lines, I've also seen ~ており used as the 連用形 of ~ている. – ignorantFid Aug 31 '15 at 18:34

<1> Yes, いず does not sound natural in this context.
<2> 立ってはおらず has the same meaning as 立っているのではなくて
<3> It does sound more formal, but the nuance does not really change.

I would loosely translate it like this:

It's not that you are alone; a sense of self-awareness first comes from being surrounded by others.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.