I am not sure how to parse these two sentences, particularly the two highlighted clauses that fall under the same pattern:

治水とは 洪水などの水害を防ぎ、また水運や農業用水の便のため、河川の改良・保全を行うこと。

雨戸とは 窓や縁側などの外側に立てる戸。風雨を防ぎ、また防犯のためのもの。

(both dictionary definitions).

My attempt is:

((洪水などの水害を防ぎ)、また(水運や農業用水の便の)ため) (sentence 1)

((風雨を防ぎ)、また(防犯の)ため) (sentence 2)?

Are these correct, or have I made a mistake?

• Sorry, but what do you mean by "uninflected" form? Is "a の clause" an example of "uninflected"? – broccoli forest Aug 29 '15 at 16:34
  • I think my terminology was a bit off there. Inflected/noninflected division only seem to apply to 自立語, but の is a 付属語. I will correct, thank you. – user11053 Aug 29 '15 at 17:47
  • I think it was wrong of me to use terminology at all since the substance of my question lies elsewhere. Sorry for the mess. – user11053 Aug 30 '15 at 7:12
  • I'm not sure I fully grasp the question but I would understand that syntax to mean that it is either for the purpose (ため) of A or (また) B (with or being used inclusively). Is that what you're trying to ask? – virmaior Aug 30 '15 at 13:41
  • No need to overthink it, the question is as simple as "how do I parse these two sentences", focused on the 為 (bolded) clause. – user11053 Aug 30 '15 at 15:20

sentence 1:

治水とは{ [洪水などの水害を防ぎ] また [(水運や農業用水の便のため)河川の改良・保全を行う] }こと

The gist is 洪水とは…防ぎ…行うこと, i.e. こと is modified by 行う (adnominal), which is modified by 防ぎ (adverbial). Eventually 防ぎ can modify こと through 行う.

sentence 2:

(雨戸とは)[風雨を防ぎ] また [(防犯のための)もの]

This sentence is disproportional. Something like 雨風を防ぎ、また防犯に用するもの or 雨風を防ぐ、また防犯のためのもの will be better, though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.