It should be mentioned I can't read kanji, so please keep that in mind when answering

I've just encountered the verb [必要]{ひつよう}, in the Rosetta Stone sentence

[私]{わたし}はチケットを[二枚]{にまい}[買]{か}う必要があります

Question 1: Does 必要 operate the same as 要ります? Is there a difference in what it implies, or is it like the english equivalent of need vs require, where the difference isn't meaning but context and which fits the sentence better?

Question 2: Can I use 必要 before and after が?
I.e. are these three sentences equally valid? Do they mean the same thing?:

1. 私は [読]{よ}む [の・こと] が [要]{い}ります 

2. 私は 読む 必要 が あります

3. 私は 読む [の・こと] が 必要 です

In fact, 必要 is not a verb, but a noun. It can be an adjective if it is followed by な. As a noun, 必要 means "a necessity" or "a need". As an adjective, it means "necessary" or "needed".

そんなに高いパソコン買う必要ありますか? Is there a necessity to buy such an expensive computer?

たくさんの文献を読む必要がある。 There is a necessity to read a lot of literature.

ログインが必要です。 The login is a necessity.

必要な物 necessary things

But 要る / 要ります is a real verb, so the construction will be different:

パソコンが要ります。 I need a computer.

I would say that the meaning is quite similar, and that the main difference is their role in the sentence (verb, noun, adjective).

A slight difference about the meaning could be that 必要がある is more used in order to express an "external necessity" (that doesn't come from you), like a rule or a law. For instance, if you want to buy something, there is a necessity for you to have money. On the contrary, 要る can also express that you want something, so this is an "internal necessity" (that comes from you).

As @naruto said in the comments, the expression "を必要とする" ("require" / "call for") can also be found:

パソコンを必要とする。 This task requires a computer.

技術を必要とする分野 a field that requires skill

As @Chocolate♦ said in the comments, "読むことが要ります" would be understood but it sounds strange and is almost not used. Prefer other suggested alternatives.

That should be パソコンが要ります. – Aeon Akechi Aug 27 '15 at 14:43
    And there's also パソコン必要とする. – naruto Aug 27 '15 at 15:00
  • @Nothingatall thank you for highlighting this. I fixed it. – RotS Aug 27 '15 at 15:18
    '...and "verb+ことが要ります" are correct.' >> We don't say 読むことが要ります. If not use the word 必要, you'd say 読まないといけません, 読まなければいけません etc. – Chocolate Sep 9 '15 at 4:53
    I think it's understandable but awkward, unnatural or sloppy. There's only 104 results on Google for "ことが要ります", only 1 for "読むことが要ります", and I wouldn't recommend learners to use it. – Chocolate Sep 9 '15 at 14:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.