In my textbook, the following phrase:

子どもたちが話しているにぎやかな声

is derived from the following example sentence:

にぎやかな声で子どもたちが話している。

It is the phrase that confuses me. It appears to me that the section in bold is modifying にぎやか, and if this is indeed the case, I do not understand the meaning of this construct.

I would appreciate help understanding this phrase.

What to do you think about this parsing: (子どもたちが話している)(にぎやかな声). The verb phrase modifies にぎやかな声 as a whole.

EDIT:
The て form and 連体節 (modifying with a verb phrase) doesn't serve the same purpose. て tends to stream-line (one things after the other) whereas 連体節 modifies the things that follows.

(子どもたちが話していて)(にぎやかな声), the parenthesis can't be placed like that. At most, you can insert a comma : 子どもたちが話していて、にぎやかな声(…) but it doesn't really make sense if you don't complete the … part.

In (あったかくて) (おいしい料理), here again parenthesis can't be like that. あったかくて、おいしい料理 (The food is warm and and it is good/delicious) (another way to understand it would be: The food is warm and (because of that) it is good/delicious)

More information on how to parse sentence can be found in Appendix 8 of the book "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar". And if you're brave enough 連体節 are discussed in details here ;) (beware EUC-JP encoding)

• That would make sense. However, I was not aware that that was valid Japanese. I thought you had to conjugate successive modifier phrases into a て form, as in (あったかくて) (おいしい料理). Then again, (子どもたちが話していて)(にぎやかな声) does appear odd. – seafood258 Aug 26 '15 at 15:17
  • I understand now. Thanks! I can't view either source easily, but I guess (あったかい) (おいしい料理) would be valid after all? – seafood258 Aug 26 '15 at 19:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.