How do you interpret this? This is an artist talking:

一番気にしているのはやっぱり過去の蓄積、自分が面白いと思ってきたものでしょうね。おもしろいと思ってきたものには一貫性はあるんですよ、人間の癖がありますからね。だから、昔おもしろいと思ったものを、自分というフィルターを通してもう一回具現化したい、それが今の願望なのかもしれない。

I guess I have two main questions:

1. What exactly is being 蓄積ed -- 過去 or おもしろいと思ってきたもの
  2. When you read this, do you understand おもしろいと思ってきたもの as referring to things he himself has done in the past, or just anything in general that he liked?
  1. The latter. The artist has 蓄積'd 自分がおもしろいと思うもの in the 過去, "What I have found interesting in the past."
    「過去の蓄積」 = 「(過去に)自分が面白いと思ってきたもの」
    (過去の蓄積 is 過去蓄積してきたもの(What I have stored up in the past), not 過去を/が蓄積したもの.)

2. The latter; it's not "things he himself has done in the past", since he's saying that now he wants (= 今の願望) to 自分というフィルターを通してもう一回具現化したい because he has not yet done that, right?

• on #2: yeah, that's what I thought too. awesome. thanks! – haet Sep 4 '15 at 16:32
  1. 蓄積 here is a noun which literally means 'accumulation' but actually means '(accumulated) experience' in this context. 過去の蓄積 means "what I have accumulated", or simply "experience in the past".

2. It depends on his career. If he is a young creator, this should mainly refer to what he has seen as a consumer. If he is a veteran creator who is trying to challenge something new, it probably refers to what he has done as a creator, too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.