I'm often unsure what to say when answering the telephone when I am the customer; people usually say their name and then wait for me to say something before stating their business. I'm guessing there is a set phrase that people usually say at that point.

Usually it goes like:

• Me: はい、XXです。
  • Them: XX社のXXXと申します。
  • Me: お世話になってます。 ← What I'm unsure about

Is this appropriate to say as a customer? What if I've never spoken to them before? What else could I say here?

If you're not expecting their call, then one does wonder what exactly the 世話 could be that made them call you. If it's a company where you are a customer, I would probably wait to hear more, so

• Me. はい、◯◯です。
  • Them. ◯◯社の◯◯と申します。
  • Me. はい。

If you want a firmer handle on the conversation, you can also ask

• Me. どういったご用件ですか。

If in the end you did benefit from their call (i.e. it wasn't just a sales call, but they helped you fix something, set something in order, etc.), you can always say something nice later.

• Me. お世話様でした。 (or よろしくお願いします。 or ご苦労様でした。)

(Note that お世話様でした is not a different way of saying お世話になっています. The former is said from "above" to "below", the latter is said from "below" to "above".)

• Thanks, I have just said はい before as in your example and it seemed a little awkward like they were waiting for something more, maybe it's just my imagination though.. – Paludis Sep 16 '15 at 2:37

If you are a customer I wouldn't care too much. お世話になってます would be a good choice. あ、どうも or even はい would work (albeit less polite, but as a customer you don't need to be polite). If you want to ask why they called you can say 何のお電話でしょう? or どうしました?.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.