I am reading chapter 4 from the JLPT N5 book, where I found the following sentence:

昨日勉強しましたか。

After 昨日, why wasn't there a topic particle? Is "昨日は勉強しましたか。" an incorrect sentence?

Marking it with は is certainly not wrong, and would in fact be natural. It doesn't change the meaning, but if the は is stressed, it will contrast yesterday to all other days, and will thus put stress on the time:

昨日勉強しましたか - Did you study yesterday? (Plain question)
昨日勉強しましたか - Did you study yesterday? (As opposed to any other day)

However, if the は is not stressed, then は is a normal topic marker and it is still a plain question:

昨日は勉強しましたか - Did you study yesterday? (Plain question, は unstressed)

(Thanks to naruto for pointing this out in the comments.)

• I would probably say 「昨日は勉強しましたか」 when I want to plainly ask "Did you study yesterday?" as opposed to nothing. – naruto Aug 21 '15 at 2:41
  • @naruto So, it doesn't emphasize the time after all? – Blavius Aug 21 '15 at 2:43
    I think it depends on the pronunciation; when は is stressed, it would be the contrastive-wa, but otherwise it would be the usual topic marker. Perhaps OP just didn't know 昨日 can act as an adverb by itself? – naruto Aug 21 '15 at 2:49
  • Huh, I was not aware of that distinction. I will edit my answer. – Blavius Aug 21 '15 at 2:52
  • I wonder why nobody say anything about 晩強... – broccoli forest Aug 21 '15 at 5:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.