Two characters are playing a game and talking about some more serious stuff at the same time. They both think the game is kinda crappy, and in particular they get to a scene that's trying to be emotional, but they feel it's just trying too hard/poorly done. However, one character then thinks:

そんな、エセ感動シーンの力を借りて、今だけ、ちょっと真面目モードに移行する。

From what I can tell, this seems to be saying: Drawing power from the (crappy?) scene, he moves into serious mode.

However, I'm not sure exactly what エセ means. I suspect it's some slang.

See 似非. – istrasci Aug 20 '15 at 15:25
  • Woops. I forgot to check えせ because of it was written in katakana >.> – Ringil Aug 20 '15 at 17:45
  • @istrasci: Do you know whether the two words are etymologically related? – jogloran Aug 20 '15 at 23:02
  • @jogloran: Which, エセ and ニセ from snailboat's answer? – istrasci Aug 20 '15 at 23:08
    @jogloran Not likely, according to this page. – broccoli forest Aug 21 '15 at 3:29

Japanese has a couple prefixes that are kind of like 'pseudo-' or 'fake'.

1. エセ- means it's fake because it isn't good enough to be the real thing. For example, imagine a 'scientist' who takes themselves seriously but you regard as a crackpot, not doing real science. They could be an エセ科学者.

2. ニセ- (or 偽{にせ}-) means it's fake because it's really something else, but it looks like the real thing on the surface. For example, if someone tries to sell you diamonds, but what they're really selling you are diamond-shaped pieces of glass, you could call those 偽ダイヤ.

In your example, they're saying it's a pseudo-emotional scene, in the sense that it's not good enough to qualify as the real thing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.