If I'd like to take a picture with someone, how do I go about asking them? And also, if I want to take a picture of someone, how should I ask them? Would it be something like

写真を撮ってもいいですか?

To take a picture with someone:

一緒に写真を撮って(も)いいですか?

To take a picture of someone, when the subject is your friend:

写真(を)撮って(も)いい?

When you know the subject is ready to be taken a picture (for example when it's Mickey Mouse in Tokyo Disney Land):

写真を撮って(も)いいですか?

Something like 写真お願いします usually means 'Can you take a photo for/of us?', but it's actually a confusing expression and it may work in this situation, too (See the joke #5 in this page).

But usually you have to be more polite and say like this:

写真を撮らせてもらって(も)いいですか?
写真を撮らせていただいて(も)いいですか?

• @John It's perfectly grammatical, but it's very rude :) – naruto Aug 1 '18 at 5:31
  • @john Both. Even if you are a professional photographer and have a good reason to stop a stranger on the street and take their picture, you have to use more polite language. As I said in the answer, 写真を撮っていいですか is perfectly fine to a mascot character in an amusement park or a "cosplayer" in a party. – naruto Aug 1 '18 at 5:45
  • @john If you really have a reason, you have to learn politer keigo, explain your purpose and obtain a consent. 写真を撮っていいですか is too casual and almost scary. – naruto Aug 1 '18 at 6:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.