Ura-zuki is more linear. Age Ura-zuki is rising but still linear. What about Sukui ura-zuki? Any martial artists know this one? I am hoping for an official karate term, but I will settle for a gramatically correct term that describes a scooping punch (western boxing uppercut). Thank you in advance!!

I suspect this might be more appropriate on martialarts.stackexchange.com, but I'm not sure. – Darius Jahandarie Aug 18 '15 at 20:23
    I think it should stay. If this were originally posted on martialarts.se, I can imagine they'd consider sending it here. Heck, having it here in Japanese would require a Japanese speaker who happens to know martial arts, and having it in Martial Arts would require a martial artist who happens to know Japanese. Too many gray areas on the whole network... – Blavius Aug 18 '15 at 20:54
  • Since the OP already knows what the term is in English and is looking for an equivalent in Japanese, I think it belongs here. On top of that, you don't have to know martial arts to answer the question, as the answers show (but you'd probably have to know Japanese). – Earthliŋ Aug 19 '15 at 0:51

I don't do karate or any other martial arts, but the basic term for this is katakana アッパーカット, which should be understood by almost everyone who is fluent in Japanese.

裏拳 (ura-ken) is more a like backhand blow, or a blow using the back of one's hand. This is well-known, too.

裏突き (ura-zuki) is a straight punch with the palm facing upward. I think it's a karate-specific term.

According to this list of karate 突き, it appears 鉤【かぎ】突【づ】き (kagi-zuki, 鉤 means 'hook') clearly says it's a 弧を描くような (=curved, arc-like) punch, but it's a punch blown horizontally. It looks like a karate jargon rather than a generic term, but I don't know the awareness of this term even among karate fans.

I haven't heard age ura-zuki (上げ裏突き?) or sukui ura-zuki (すくい裏突き?) and they're not listed in the linked list, either (these names look reasonable at least to me, though).

• 裏突き is not a backhand, but a straight punch, like a 正拳突き, but with the hand "reversed" (i.e. with the palm facing upward). 鉤突き is a hook, as it comes from the side. – Jimmy Aug 18 '15 at 23:44
  • Right, 鉤突き is not a uppercut, edited my answer. – naruto Aug 18 '15 at 23:45

I think the term you're looking for is [上げ突き]{あげつき}. Though similar, it's not exactly the same move.

アッパーカット or アッパー are recognizable to any Japanese familiar with martial arts, too, as naruto has mentioned.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.