Is there any difference between 交替 and 交代 or are they completely interchangeable?

They're mostly interchangeable.

If you want to be nit-picky, 交替 is for regularly occurring changes, and 交代 is for one-time changes, but this is not a hard-set rule.

• +1 but I missed your line, but this is not a hard-set rule.. It looks like they are more kind of the "hard-set rule" though.. 知っ得袋.biz/443.html ( I am afraid I can not provide the link well. ) – Kentaro Tomono Aug 15 '15 at 21:32
  • I still feel, though, that what the link and I have said is still more of a tendency than a rule. – Blavius Aug 16 '15 at 1:57
  • Even the site says つまり、スポーツの選手交代など、一度変わった後は、もう元に戻ることができない状況の事を「交代」と呼ぶのです。 Translated : 交代 is used to express irreversible situations such like when a sports player is changed and the previous player will not return?? – Kentaro Tomono Aug 16 '15 at 2:29
  • Yes, that would be the technically correct way of selecting which to use, but in practice that rule is often ignored. In particular, I think 交代 is used more often than 交替 (even in circumstances where 交替 would be proper assuming this rule). – Blavius Aug 16 '15 at 3:12
    In my answer I said they were mostly interchangeable. Sure there are some compounds with other words where changing it wouldn't make sense. What I am saying is that sometimes you will find that 交代 is used in place of 交替. In fact, newspapers use 交代 much more often than 交替. As I said before, it is a tendency, not a hard-set rule. – Blavius Aug 16 '15 at 3:45

I would like to give further information since Mr. Blavius asserts 交代 is for one-time changes, but this is not a hard-set rule. and per choco san's advice.

From this site http://知っ得袋.biz/443.html

From the site,

交代・・・役目などが一回限りでかわる時

交替・・・かわって行うことが繰り返されるとき

Translated

交代 --- one time change of roles or jobs or plays etc etc,

交替 --- repetitive change of roles or jobs or plays etc, etc.

And from the above

つまり、スポーツの選手交代など、一度変わった後は、もう元に戻ることができない状況の事を「交代」と呼ぶのです。これに対し「交替」の「かわって行うことが繰り返されるとき」というのは、AからBに変わって、またAに戻ったり、またBに戻ったりする時を指します。例えば、警備の担当や仕事の当番など、何回も変わったりする時には「交替」を使うということですね!

Translated

So, 交代 is used to express irreversible situations such like when a sports player is changed and the previous player will not return. On the other hand, 交替, is used to express the repetitive motions, such as a person A does a job then afterward another B take over the job. The example is guard men or day and night duties. One person can not do the job 24 hours and 5 days in succession, so that in such a case 交替 is used.

Examples respectively from the source.

交代

会社が世代交代していく。

Translated

Generational changes of company's important members ( such as bosses ).

Would the previous bosses come back 50 years later? Quite unlikely

交替

昼夜交替

Translated

Day and night shift ( works ).

A person A can not work day and night 5 days a week ( for example ). Please think about the above mentioned guard men's case kindly

Have a nice day.

明鏡国語辞典によると、次のとおりです。『「交代」は、「世代交代」のように、その役目などが一回限りの場合に、「交替」は、「昼夜交替」「交替での勤務」のように、繰り返される場合に使われることが多い。ただし絶対的なものではなく、「参勤交代」などは伝統的に「交代」を使う。』 – snailboat Aug 16 '15 at 4:16
    I said before, I don't disagree that they have subtle differences- but people tend to use one for the other (particularly 交代 for 交替) anyway. Also, look at the accepted answer on this question on chiebukuro. – Blavius Aug 16 '15 at 4:50
    個人的には殆ど区別しませんし、「交代勤務」も「交替勤務」もごく普通に見ます(ちなみにWikipediaだとこの記事は交代が優勢でこの記事は交替が優勢ですが、誰も議論すらしてません)。事実上厳格な使い分けはされていないということで構わないと思いますし、「交代制度だと全く意味が通らない」と言い張る人は初めて見ました。 – naruto Aug 16 '15 at 22:42
    "snaiboatさんは参勤交代の例を挙げていますが">> えっ、どこでですか?上のコメントでは彼女は辞書を引用しているだけで、彼女が「参勤交代の例を挙げて」いるわけではありませんよね? "どういう「基準」なのでしょうか?">> 辞書にも『「交代」は、「世代交代」のように、その役目などが一回限りの場合に、「交替」は、「昼夜交替」「交替での勤務」のように、繰り‌​返される場合に使われることが多い。ただし絶対的なものではなく、「参勤交代」などは伝統的に「交代」を使う。』とあるのですから、『かくかくしかじかのように区別して使われることが多い、使われる傾向がある。絶対ではないが。新聞用字用語辞典は「交代」に統一しているので、新聞では区別されず全てに「交代」が使われている。』ということを質問者に教えて差し上げればそれでよいではありませんか。 – Chocolate Aug 17 '15 at 1:51
    あ、ちなみにサンキンコウタイについては、徳川の時代から交代と交替が両方使われており、本来どっちでも正解みたいです。明治以降の学校教育でなんとなく「交代」に統一されたため、中学受験レベルなら「交代」の方が無難のようですが。 – naruto Aug 17 '15 at 9:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.