I recently learned that the symbol 〼, called 枡記号【ますきごう】, can be used as a phonetic shorthand for ます, as in 豆腐あり[〼]【ます】. In a similar vein, I am aware that 〆 is used as a shorthand for しめ in 〆切【しめきり】 = 締め切り, and sometimes in other words.

What other phonetic shorthands should a reader of Japanese be aware of? (Or, is there a word I can use to describe all of these things so I can look them up myself? 記号 is too broad, since it includes all kinds of symbols, and I don't know of any more specific word.) For the purposes of this question, let us ignore 略字, which I'm led to understand are fairly numerous.

If there are a lot of them, feel free to close as "too broad", but I imagine there can't be that many of them.

The subset of 約物(特殊記号)you are referring to is 準{じゅん}仮名・漢字. One common symbol you will see in this category is 々. It has various names but denotes a repetition of kanji.

E.g. 各々{おのおの} or 時々{ときどき}.

• I have seen 々 referred to as 踊り字. I'm not saying it's not also called 準仮名・漢字, but I've never heard that term for it. – istrasci Aug 14 '15 at 23:06
  • Yes, one name for 々 is 踊り字. But my understanding is that 踊り字 is itself a subset of 準仮名・漢字. – user224579 Aug 14 '15 at 23:21
  • 準仮名・漢字 seems to be a part of this standard: JIS X 0208 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIS_X_0208 – user224579 Aug 14 '15 at 23:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.