I can't find this in any dictionary, but it seems to mean something like picture. Is that right?

I don't have an example sentence, because that word was the whole sentence.

• What's wrong with this question? Aug 15, 2011 at 15:43
    Sentence or it didn't exist. (no I didn't downvote this - I've never downvoted even once in JLU)
    – Lukman
    Aug 15, 2011 at 15:49
    Yes, you have a nasty habit of never putting example sentences.
    – istrasci
    Aug 15, 2011 at 16:03
  • Looking on Google, I don't think example sentences will help... example pages, maybe. It has less than 10,000 hits, so it might be very difficult to give an answer...
    – Zhen Lin
    Aug 15, 2011 at 17:51
  • "That word was the whole sentence"? Was it a blog post title, or a picture caption, or something? If that's the case, a link would help. It's often difficult to translate without context.
    – Amanda S
    Aug 17, 2011 at 6:32

1 Answer 1

I think it comes from 撮影【さつえい】 where つ becomes ちゅ for some reason (slang?). A bit like おやちゅみなさい.

Seems to me that さちゅえい refers to 撮影会 events. There are many types of 撮影会 but the main ones are for amateur photographers to meet, to take a picture with a character or model, to create publicity with an open photoshoot, or to recruit new models. They are discussed in more detail on Wikipedia.

• I learned that it's pronounced that way by kids, because they can't pronounce certain letters. Aug 17, 2011 at 6:11
  • @language you're correct on that one, but just to note that sometimes such "kiddish" spelling is made to entice newbies.
    – syockit
    Aug 20, 2011 at 3:44
  • Some (if not many) Chinese pronounce it that way. I had a few Chinese friends, and they could not pronounce very well, and it always came out as ちゅ.
    – istrasci
    May 30, 2012 at 14:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .