This question already has an answer here:

What is the usage of なの in:

最も有名なのがウーロン茶で

To me, it seems to transfer a adverb [有名] to a noun, is that so? Could someone help to explain, thx.

Update:

To make the question more clear, the whole sentence is:

日本で中国茶として最も有名なのがウーロン茶で、

marked as duplicate by broccoli forest, user3856370, Community Aug 8 '15 at 12:08

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Since your updated information is not needed to explain, let me answer without it. (I am sorry to say this, the update only gives me further writings with sorry.)

Granted,

To me, it seems to transfer a adverb [有名] to a noun, is that so? Could someone help to explain, thx.

有名, mostly and commonly as 有名な as the na-adjective. (But as I commented Mr./Ms.'s comment line it can be used as a noun too. Ex. 有名税, explained in the comment, 有名校【ゆうめいこう】, meaning "a famous (highly regarded) school")

Actually, I would like to explain 有名な as the na-adjective only here. Personally, I would like to use the word as noun 有名 + the auxiliary だ. Since many say 彼【かれ】は有名だ, meaning he is famous.

Now, 有名な is here the na-adjective. Since the na-adjective conjugates, in you speech, 有名な is taking the 連体形. The pattern of the conjugation of the na-adjective of the 有名な is as the followings.

語幹(stem)              有名
未然形(Imperfective)    だろ
連用形(Conjunctive)     だっ/で/に
終止形(Predicative)     だ
連体形(Attributive)     な
仮定形(Conditional)     なら
命令形(Imperative)      (basically non-existing)

++Please refer to here for the Japanese conjugation forms in English.

Now, 連体形, after which comes a noun, and since the postpositional particle の can be swapped by 物(もの), meaning a thing (noun) and categorized as 格助詞.

Your question,

To me, it seems to transfer a adverb [有名] to a noun, is that so?

The answer is NO. Firstly 有名 is not an adverb. Now as for

Could someone help to explain

From the above forms of the conjugation of the na-adjective of 有名, your speech becomes as the following.

最も有名なのがウーロン茶で

最も (adverb, meaning "the most" in English)
有名な (na adjective of 有名), taking 連体形
の (particle, like substantive, meaning can be a substance)
が (particle, showing the previous part speech 最も有名なの is a subject)
ウーロン茶 (noun, Oolong tea)
で (auxiliary), 連用形 (suggesting another speech will continue after)

So, の is the particle explained above.

The whole translation (including your update).

日本で中国茶として最も有名なのがウーロン茶で、
The most famous Chinese tea in Japan is Oolong.

Have a nice day.  

• If is similar like もの here, then it makes perfect sence to me, thx for the very detailed/extended answer & your time. – Eric Wang Aug 8 '15 at 5:48
  • I'm sorry I made a mistake. It was 格助詞(bold part). – Kentaro Aug 8 '15 at 5:54
  • That's fine, I think it's very hard to make languages make sence like math, I got your key point :) – Eric Wang Aug 8 '15 at 5:56

The predicative form of 有名 is 有名だ and its attributive or adjectival form is 有名な. The particle nominalizes (changes) the preceding adjective into a noun.

So 最も有名ながウーロン茶で

is saying that the most famous thing is oolong tea.

I don't think this post deserves downvote, though I would explain that the の is simply a pronoun. – user4092 Aug 8 '15 at 5:06
  • But I am not yet sure. 有名校 can not be explained only with the function of the na-adjective. 有名, Kanji, noun itself is an adjective, I think. – Kentaro Aug 8 '15 at 5:39
  • Because, when I take 有名 as a noun and the な as the 連体形 of the auxiliary だ, then it ( 有名 ) can be more flexible. For example, 有名かも, 有名らしい,有名なり etc, etc... – Kentaro Aug 8 '15 at 5:47
    Thanks for the edits. I forgot that 有名 is used sometimes as a kanji compound. – Ringil Aug 8 '15 at 14:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.