This is probably a simple question but something I've seemingly never considered while studying Japanese, but how would one compare ages of people in Japanese?

For example if I wanted to say "I'm two years older than my girlfriend" would be something along the lines of "僕は彼女より二年年をとった" Although my interpretation of this makes it seem unnatural, along the lines of "I've aged two more years than my girlfriend". If someone can clarify I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Matt

You would use [年上]{とし・うえ} for older and [年下]{とし・した} for younger.

• 僕は彼女より2歳年上だ。 → I'm two years older than my girlfriend.
  • 妹は私より5歳年下です。 → My sister is five years younger than I.

You can also use them by themselves.

• 花子さんには年下の[旦那]{だん・な}さんがいる。 → Hanako has a younger husband.
  • 翔平は兄弟の中で一番年上だ。 → Shōhei is the oldest of his siblings.
  • Exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for, thank you! – mattb Aug 9 '15 at 20:57
  • It's actually "than me" in English, not "than I". This is known as hypercorrection. – nyuszika7h May 30 '17 at 14:26
  • @nyuszika7h: I believe you're hypercorrecting. The omission is ...older than I (am old). – istrasci May 30 '17 at 15:27
  • For those interested in the battle between which is correct English, ref. quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/than-i-versus-than-me. Clearly, I'm a "conjugtionist" according to this article. – istrasci May 30 '17 at 16:40
  • @itrasci Nobody would say "older than I am old", though. That sounds very formal/ancient. "Older than I am", sure. But anyway, in "older than me", "me" is the object and I'd say that's definitely not wrong, and neither is "older than I am". So apparently there's no agreement on "older than I", but it doesn't really make sense to me as that's simply randomly "am" for seemingly no reason, it doesn't make any sense unless you "imagine" the "am" there. – nyuszika7h Jun 3 '17 at 8:24

In addition to istrasci's answer, a version that is often used in introductions and the like is xxつ[上]{うえ}の[person] and xxつ[下]{した}の[person]

5つ下の妹。 Younger sister five years younger

2つ上の彼女 Girlfriend two years older

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.