In my opinion, the usage of だ is already correct in the following sentence. But someone in my other questions said it is incorrect.

For example,

• 映画を見ることが好きだ女性は私の妹です。The woman who likes watching movies is my younger sister.

• 使い方が便利だ電気機は何ですか。 What is the electric appliance that is handy to use?

For the sake of completeness and comparison, I provide relative clauses with a verb, i-adjective and noun as follows. I think they are also correct.

• a verb: 映画を見ている女性が誰ですか。Who is the woman watching a movie?

• i-adjective: 物価が安い町に住みたいです。I want to live in a town whose living cost is cheap.

• noun: ジェットさんが20歳だ映画を見ています。I am watching a movie in which Mr. Jet was 20 years old.

Must I change every だ to な in the given examples above? Please correct me if it is wrong.

Yes, you do have to change it.

It is ungrammatical for だ to appear at the end of a relative clause. If you need to have a (present-tense) copula at the end of a relative clause, it must be changed to either な or の. Which of these it changes to will depend on the noun attached to it---some turn into into な (like 好き or きれい), some turn it into の (like 普通 or 緑), and some can turn it into either な or の (like 特別).

この映画が好き → 好き映画(を見る)
この花は緑 → 緑花(を摘んだ)

The former group is where the term "na-adjective" comes from. Which group a given word falls into isn't really predictable. (See this question for more detail)

However, only だ must be changed in relative clauses. Past-tense だった can remain as it is in a relative clause.

この映画が好きだった → 好きだった映画(を見る)

• I chose this answer because you EXPLICITLY emphasized the exception in the present tense. To be fair, l'électeur is also good. – Friendly Ghost Aug 6 '15 at 4:33
    +1, but I want to point out that this answer assumes that na-adjectives are a type of noun. That's fine, but it's not something everyone believes, so I want to point it out explicitly in case anyone is confused. – snailboat Aug 8 '15 at 21:52

You seem to be misunderstood about this and it is indeed a fairly common misconception.

「na-adjective + だ」

In na-adjectives, the 「~~だ」 form is the 終止形{しゅうしけい} (predicative form), meaning it is used to end a sentence. Thus, it cannot be used to end a relative clause in front of its final noun.

「na-adjective + な」

This is the 連体形{れんたいけい} (attributive form), meaning it is always followed by a noun. Thus, this is the form to use to end a relative clause since a relative clause will always end in a noun.

(Was it not you whom I explained this to only yesterday? With 「便利な」?)

Now, let us go over your sentences.

「映画を見ることが好き女性は私の妹です。」

Incorrect. It is 「好きな」.

「使い方が便利電気機は何ですか。」

Incorrect. Again, な > だ

「映画を見ている女性誰ですか。」

Incorrect. Definitely, は > が. A very common mistake among J-learners. Many use 「が」 as if it were the default subject marker, but it is not.

「物価が安い町に住みたいです。」

Correct.

「ジェットさんが20歳映画を見ています。」

Incorrect. I wanna scream 「『だ』はsentence ender!」.

You could say 「ジェットさんが20歳の時の映画を見ています。」

or 「ジェットさんが20歳だった時の映画を見ています。」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.