I am just doing some homework and I can't make the sentence I want.

Concretely, I want to write

"If you start smoking again, I'm going to give you a good spanking."

If I say this in England or other parts in Europe (in a different language) the person I am telling this will laugh (or at least smile). Because of course I am not actually going to beat them up even if they start smoking again.

How can I say this in Japanese?

There are so many ways to render it with a similar effect. Idiolect could play a significant role, reflecting one's generation, gender, personality, proclivity to use humor, etc.

The addressee's reaction could depend on HOW you say it, too, e.g., with affected seriousness, with subtle cuteness, a deadpan tone/face, furrowed brows with eyes smiling, etc.

Just a few examples that come to mind: また吸い始めたら +お仕置きするからね +ただじゃおかないからね +さらし首かな +縛り首(しばりくび)だな +ギロチンだね +死刑だよ +おへそガリガリの刑だからね(dozens of variations are possible on this 〜の刑).

For added emphasis you could repeat the noun part immediately after these, e.g., ギロチンだね、ギロチン!(with or without the exclamation mark).

Some of those examples are adorable haha. – Chronopolis Aug 5 '15 at 18:39
    Hahaha, I like this. Thank you! And I'm so glad that I can say this in Japanese too. Sometimes I feel like certain things just can't be said here. – ナウシカ Aug 5 '15 at 23:23
  • +1 Yeah, some of them r f:::: hilarious. – Kentaro Tomono Aug 8 '15 at 11:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.