Consider the following scenario.

I go to a shop and buy many electronic components using my own money. Later, the company will give me money with the same amount as a replacement.

What is the Japanese noun to describe this replacement money?

I found a word 再調達原価{さいちょうたつげんか} but it means replacement cost rather than replacement money.

Applying it in a sentence:

会社が再調達原価としてお金をくれます。

The company will give me money as the replacement cost.

But I actually want to say

The company will give me money as the replacement money.

Edit

Probably the following conversation might make it easier to understand.

ボス:どうぞ。(The boss gives me money)

私:このお金は何ですか。(I pretend I don't understand what that money is for)

ボス:(Replacement money) です。(The boss explains that that money is given as a replacement money)

私:ありがとうございます。(I thank the boss as a closing word)

精算{せいさん} is the word. It means to calculate how much you lend/borrow and to make it even.

店に行って、(会社用の) 電気部品をたくさん購入し、代金は私が立て替えておいた。後で、会社で立て替えた代金を精算した。

立{た}て替{か}える means to pay for someone, expecting that person will repay.

• But it does not convey the meaning of replacement money. – Friendly Ghost Aug 4 '15 at 8:32
    You can say 精算金. – Hideki Aug 4 '15 at 9:13
    弁償 is 'compensation for damage'. – Hideki Aug 4 '15 at 16:08
    でも、「どうぞ。」「このお金は何ですか?」「清算金です。」「ありがとうございます。」という会話にはならないでしょう?「どうぞ。」「このお金は何ですか?」「この前立て替えておいてくれた分です。」とか「立て替えておいてくれた部品の代金です。」とかいうふうに言いませんか? – Chocolate Aug 5 '15 at 5:22
    @choco そうですね、精算金と言う言葉は会計処理 (accounting) で使われることはあっても、日常会話で使うことはありませんね。おっしゃるとおり、replacement money に当たる言葉を使わないのが、日本語として自然だと思います。 – Hideki Aug 5 '15 at 5:43

It seems to me like you are asking for the Japanese equivalent of "reimbursement." "返金" is the word that I would use, but it may be closer to "refund" than "reimbursement."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.