Usually, we're told that おる is a humble verb, and that mostly holds true. But sometimes I see it conjugated to a light honorific form おられる, usually when talking about someone to whom respect must be shown rather than to them. I'd like to ask how this comes about.

Technically speaking, it's not a Standard Japanese. But おる is a normal verb in many dialects in western Japan, and the speakers in those regions won't consider おられる really unnatural. Recently, it has infiltrated into the east as well.

May I answer?

Kindly see these

1 2 3 4

It looks like the verb いる "first" changed to the humble form "おる” ( 五段 ) then "combined" with "れる” which denotes the "respect". The 2 sites from the left say the "word" is a "bit weird". haha. I didn't know myself, thank you.

• I personally use "いらっしゃる” instead, because as quotes say humble + respect is grammatically and basically not right ( = weird but commonly used ). And yes, many people say "おられる”......... – Kentaro Aug 2 '15 at 0:14
  • So please understand in my opinion, if it is not grammatically unfavorable, it is commonly used because it is commonly used...I can not dig into furthermore, sorry. – Kentaro Aug 2 '15 at 0:19
  • You can search for おられ in 少女地獄 from 青空文庫 and you can see that it's used throughout the text in honorific form, especially in a letter written by a young women form Osaka. – Tomei Ningen Aug 4 '15 at 8:29
  • Why do you repetitively comment to me? If you have confidence about your knowledge please go ahead. I just literally translated the link. But I apologize I shouldn't have said "I use いらっしゃる instead", that was wrong. I apologize. – Kentaro Aug 5 '15 at 0:47
  • Sorry, I meant to put a comment to the original question, but I ended up commenting in your answer. I don't have confidence about my knowledge, but just want to share what I've seen. – Tomei Ningen Aug 5 '15 at 5:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.