Is this translation correct?

遺伝子操作を問わず

enter image description here

Or is it supposed to be "Even with genetic manipulation and posterior education, creating a Level 5 is impossible?"

"Even with genetic manipulation and posterior education, creating a Level 5 is impossible?" is correct.
問う usually means ask but sometimes it also means matter (verb). So 問わず means it doesn't matter.

I think a better translation might be:

Even with genetic manipulation and education, forcing the generation of a Level 5 from a cloned body is impossible.

I eliminated posterior because the phrase "posterior education", though I understand it, is not typically said in English.

Regarding the use of "force", 発生させる is a causative verb so this sentence is talking about "causing" creation rather than creation in general. I suspect this sentence comes after the speaker made a lot of attempts and finally decided that he cannot "make" the act of creation happen. I don't think he's actually saying that it cannot happen as the translation suggests.

Hope this helps

Regarding 発生させる - This sentence is about a kind of people "超能力「者」" On the other hand, 発生 is not used for people. It is like a paper on biology. Actually 発生させる implies that the sentence was written by a mad scientist who consider 超能力者 as pure research objects, or by someone who wants to exploit them as tools. – Hideki Aug 1 '15 at 2:21
  • @Hideki Interesting. Thanks for the comment! – G-Cam Aug 3 '15 at 3:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.