In the first episode of WataMote at about 7:40, Kuroki says this sentence:

やはり、中学時代の私の会話かんを取り戻さなくては。

which is translated to

Jeez, I've got to get back the conversational nature I had in middle school...

Should かん be replaced with 間、感、勘 or something else entirely?

動画(公式)はこちら: nicovideo.jp/watch/1373608665 – naruto Jul 30 '15 at 16:47
  • @naruto I just noticed that you changed the わ at the end of the sentence to は. Isn't the sentence-ending particle usually written わ? Unless it was just a typo, I guess I should make a new question about that. – Mets Jul 30 '15 at 19:39
    @Mets This construction is sort of an elision of 取り戻さなくては(ならない), so it should be the particle は rather than the sentence-ending particle わ. – senshin Jul 30 '15 at 20:58
  • @senshin Ah, I see! I even "uncorrected" the sentence to have なきゃ at the end instead of なくて (and then rolled back the edit after listening to the sentence again), because I was thinking of the sentence-ending particle. なくて makes much more sense with は after it. – Mets Jul 30 '15 at 21:50

かん should be 勘 meaning "sense" or "intuition", so 会話勘 meaning "sense for conversation". (Cf. 勘が戻る, a common expression meaning something like "to get back into the swing of things".)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.