I originally learned that i-adjectives are joined with くて e.g.

長くて、赤い魚が欲しい。

I want a long, red fish.

Recently I've come across a couple of examples where the two adjectives are joined together with the omission of the い from the first e.g.

細長い四角

Thin, long rectangle

Is this something I can do with any pair of i-adjectives or just ones of the same type (ones that describe size in this case), or are there only specific pairings that are allowed?

As a general rule, you cannot freely join two arbitrary adjectives like this. You can't say 長赤い nor 赤長い.

Words like 細長い are sometimes called 複合形容詞 (compound adjective). Here are some examples:

• 青白【あおじろ】い (pale), 青【あお】い + 白【しろ】い
  • 赤黒【あかぐろ】い (dark red, bloody), 赤【あか】い + 黒【くろ】い
  • ずる賢【がしこ】い (sly), ずるい + 賢【かしこ】い
  • 暑苦【あつくる】しい (muggy), 暑【あつ】い + 苦【くる】しい
  • 面白【おもしろ】おかしい (funny), 面白【おもしろ】い + おかしい

Basically these words have their own entries in dictionaries.

But once in a while Japanese people coin new words using this rule. For example young people sometimes say キモかわいい (gross but cute), which is a fairly new i-adjective made of キモい and かわいい.

I think かわいい is somewhat used like a suffix, e.g. エロ可愛い, あざと可愛い, 地味かわいい, 馬鹿かわいい, etc. かわいから許される言い方かも知れません – Yang Muye Jul 29 '15 at 15:47
  • ああ、確かにすごくproductiveですね。「うざかわいい」とか「ゲスかわいい」とか。ここ10年以内に出てきた言い方のような気がします。 – naruto Jul 29 '15 at 15:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.