I'd have liked to have asked this as a comment to the accepted answer in the post linked below but sadly, my reputation does not yet allow that.

in 買っては, I need some explanation for っては part

In the above post, the sentence

靴買うならTシャツやいま使うもの買っては?!

is translated as

"If you're going to buy shoes, how about buying / why don't you buy a t-shirt / t-shirts or an item / items that you'll use now instead (rather than shoes)?"

I was wondering why the translator is so confident that "instead" is implied rather than "as well". When I hear "How about..." in English, I feel at best a slight implication of "instead of the alternative". Does "どうですか" carry a strong implication of "instead" in Japanese?

Further, is there a way that the speaker could have emphasized her meaning with a specific word or expression (something like "rather than the alternatives")?

And lastly, how could the speaker have have said:

"If you're going to buy shoes, how about buying / why don't you buy a t-shirt / t-shirts or an item / items that you'll use now as well?"

Thanks all for reading. Any help is appreciated.

This 'instead' was kindly inserted by the translator because the speaker did not use も (=also, as well) in the original sentence. It's the absence of も that implies the speaker is suggesting buying something else instead.

• 靴(を)買うならTシャツ買っては?
    If you're going to buy shoes, why don't you buy a T-shirt as well?
  • 靴(を)買うならTシャツ()買っては?
    If you're going to buy shoes, why don't you buy a T-shirt (instead)?

And this answered your last question, too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.