I just read this lesson on imabi and i'm confused.

"To make a polite negative phrase, you have two options. You can simply add です to ~ない. When you do this, you aren't actually saying "is" again. In this case, です's meaning is just showing politeness. Or, you can use ~{では・じゃ}ありません. If you remember from Lesson 8 that だ comes from である and that it will be important to know this later on, the time is now. Polite conjugations using it are "more polite" than just using です. So, they are best used with people whom you should show more respect."

「じゃありません」, for some reason, is way overrated in Japanese-as-a-foreign-language. Not many native speakers actually use it at least between Tokyo and Nagoya. I do not think I have ever said it in my life. – l'électeur Jul 26 '15 at 11:56

You can make a polite negative version of a noun or na-adj by either adding 「です」 to 「ない」 (making 「ないです」) or saying 「ではありません / じゃありません」.

Examples:
「静かではありません。」
「静かじゃありません。」
「静かじゃないです。」

|improve this answer|||||

It means you can either use ではありません or じゃありません to express a negative polite phrase.

So, 私は医者ではありません and 私は医者じゃありません are both fine.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.