Here is the reply I got after saying that I was interested in buying new shoes.

靴買うならTシャツやいま使うもの買っては?!

I think I got the overall meaning however I’m a bit confused with “買っては”. I don’t really get the “っては” part. Could you explain? Thanks for your help!

The ては is short for 「~てはどう(ですか)?」, "How about doing ~~?", "Why don't you ~~?

~を買っては? = ~を買ってはどう(ですか)?
≒ ~を買ったら? = ~を買ったらどう(ですか)?

The ては in ~~てはどうですか literally means "If~~" (≒~たら).
(ては = the conjunctive particle て + the binding particle は).
So ~てはどうですか literally means "How is it, if you do~~?" --> "How about doing~~?"
It's definition #6 on goo辞書.

靴(を)買うならTシャツやいま使うもの(を)買っては?!

"If you're going to buy shoes, how about buying / why don't you buy a t-shirt / t-shirts or an item / items that you'll use now instead (rather than shoes)?"

• It disturbs me that the を between 靴 and 買うis missing. Is it in general ok in Japanese to omit the を particle as we please? – ナウシカ Jul 26 '15 at 0:42
    Yes, two を's are omitted in your sentence. (I edited my post.) Particles such as が, を, に etc. get omitted quite often in casual/daily conversation. Eg.「コーヒー(を)ください。」「お金(が)欲しい。」「学校(に)行ってくる。」 – Chocolate Jul 26 '15 at 5:10
  • Thank you for your help! (It's not my sentence though (^^)) – ナウシカ Jul 26 '15 at 5:49
  • @ナウシカ Oh! It was not your question! Sorry, 間違えたぁ... – Chocolate Jul 26 '15 at 8:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.