Here is something that has been bothering me for a while now: How to know how the letter changes inside words like for example 一杯、二杯?

More concretely, I really need to know how to correctly count strides. I've heard people say it but I can't make sense of it so I keep forgetting and end up being too embarrassed to make sentences that involve counting strides (of a cantering horse).

I know one is 一歩{いっぽ} and perhaps 二歩{にほ} but after that I have no clue whatsoever whether it changes to b, p or stays h.

Please could someone teach me the correct way to count strides from 1 to 10?

And, well, it would really help me if you could explain the system to me so that I can reuse it for cups of coffee and whatever else I may be counting in the future and don't have to ask it again here. > . <

「一方... 二ほう」>> Do you mean [一歩]{いっぽ}、[二歩]{にほ}? – Chocolate Jul 25 '15 at 15:00
  • @choco Thank you, see I don't even know how to spell it! – ナウシカ Jul 25 '15 at 23:30

Q. Please could someone teach me the correct way to count strides from 1 to 10?

A. As for counting strides/steps here is the list:

1. 一歩{いっぽ} - changes to p
  2. 二歩{にほ}
  3. 三歩{さんぽ} ** - changes to p
  4. 四歩{よんほ}
  5. 五歩{ごほ}
  6. 六歩{ろっぽ} - changes to p
  7. 七歩{ななほ}
  8. 八歩{はっぽ} - changes to p
  9. 九歩{きゅうほ}
  10. 十歩{じゅっぽ} - changes to p

**not to be mixed up with 散歩{さんぽ} meaning "(a) walk"

Here are the counters for cups (of things, like coffee):

1. 一杯{いっぱい} - changes to p
  2. 二杯{にはい}
  3. 三杯{さんばい} - changes to b
  4. 四杯{よんはい}
  5. 五杯{ごはい}
  6. 六杯{ろっぱい} - changes to p
  7. 七杯{ななはい}
  8. 八杯{はっぱい} - changes to p
  9. 九杯{きゅうはい}
  10. 十杯{じゅっぱい} - changes to p
  • Counter dictionary?! (笑)I'll go for the counter dictionary! I see these seem to be written for Japanese people. So even Japanese people are confused about how to count things? – ナウシカ Jul 25 '15 at 23:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.