I'm trying to understand this sentence, particularly how と works here.

朝から、算数、国語、社会、理科と退屈な授業が続く。

Does this mean "Starting early, I have boring classes which are arithmetic, language, society, and science"? Or to put it another way, "I have the boring classes arithmetic, language, society, and science."

「朝{あさ}から、算数{さんすう}、国語{こくご}、社会{しゃかい}、理科{りか}退屈{たいくつ}な授業{じゅぎょう}が続{つづ}く。」

「と」 here means the same thing as 「といった」, 「など」, 「のような」, etc. Strictly speaking, 「という」 is not included here.

It is used to list multiple examples (in this case, the four classes/subjects) of what one is speaking about (here, 「退屈な授業」= "boring classes/subjects").

"Multiple" is the key word. This 「と」 could not be used if only one example were being given. You must use 「という」 in that case.

• @l'électeur Isn't this pretty different from 「のような」? I feel like it's applying the "drudging" sound of a long list of classes to "退屈な授業が続く". In other words, the actual sound seems important to me (c.f., "Math, English, Social Studies, Science---the tedious classes continued."). But maybe I'm misunderstanding what 「と」 this is. – Darius Jahandarie Jul 24 '15 at 17:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.