My employer sent a request with a message saying "田中です。" What do I have to say when accepting my employer's request to be a LINE friend?

(For everybody wondering what LINE is.) What's LINE? – Earthliŋ Jul 23 '15 at 18:42
    LINE is an instant messaging system similar to WeChat or What'sApp. You can make calls, send photos and stickers. – Doge Jul 23 '15 at 19:56

Assuming that your employer's name is 田中 (Tanaka), you should probably say something along the lines of よろしくお願いします, 田中さん or something similar to the formalities you said when you first met your boss.

Unless your employer added you on LINE for colloquial reasons (such as to hang out) then you should address them formally.

|improve this answer|||||
    So you actually suggest that we address our employer as "family name + さん"? We do not do that in Japan. – l'électeur Jul 24 '15 at 1:24
    I've never been to Japan so this is only an assumption. Please provide a more correct answer (I'll learn from it too) – Doge Jul 24 '15 at 1:35
    @Doge l'électeur may be referring to addressing employers/bosses by their title, such as 社長、部長、課長、次長、教育長、◯◯長・・・Also, just writing よろしくお願いします (without the boss's name afterward) may be more appropriate and maybe that is what l'électeur was getting at. – user10662 Jul 27 '15 at 7:02
    Ah, I see. I didn't think about it that way, thanks. – Doge Jul 28 '15 at 19:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.