What is the idiom "in the blink of an eye" in Japanese?

I want to use it to say that two years will be over in the blink of an eye or "before you even notice".

(For a detailed discussion and examples of the English idiom please see e.g. here)

「あっという間{ま}」 is the phrase I would suggest.

"Two years will be over in the blink of an eye." would be:

「2年{ねん}なんて、あっという間だよ。」

「2年なんて、あっという間に終{お}わるよ。」

Needless to say, 「あっという間」 literally means "while you utter 「あ」". It is a very common and useful phrase for "in the blink of an eye".

• Is it also natural Japanese if instead of なんて I say って? – ナウシカ Jul 23 '15 at 12:07
  • That's also natural but the meaning would be a bit different. (noun)なんて conveys a contemptuous nuance to the noun. – user4092 Jul 23 '15 at 13:30
    Google has the best translation for あっという間に。 – Matthew James Davis Aug 10 '15 at 7:21

一瞬で, 一瞬にして, etc.

Coincidentally (or not coincidentally), the 瞬 in 一瞬 means blink.

• I'm not downvoting, but when translating idioms I'd go for translating the colloquial meaning, not the literal meaning. – Pandacoder Jul 23 '15 at 2:18
  • @Pandacoder Just so that I understand correctly: Is the literal translation 一瞬で not an idiom in Japanese? – ナウシカ Jul 23 '15 at 3:27
  • I don't know enough to answer that question, but I think it might be (an idiom). To try to clarify what I meant: your translation for this specific idiom seemed to be too... literal or direct. Based on the additional criteria of "before you even notice" I would say that the other answer better fits the mental picture (that at least I have) of the idiom in English. Granted, I don't know every English variation of "in a blink of the eye", so you may have been going for something I'm not aware of. – Pandacoder Jul 23 '15 at 3:46
  • @Pandacoder I'm the asker not the answererよ(^^) – ナウシカ Jul 23 '15 at 4:32
    This is not a literal translation. It is an actual phrase. It just so happens it matches English literally. – user224579 Jul 23 '15 at 16:52

In addition to other great answers: I also heard the phrases with roughly the same meaning here and there:

• いつの間にか 「いつの間にかAがBに変わった」
  • たちまちのうちに 「たちまちのうちにAが売り切れになってしまった」 (I would appreciate if a native speaker could comment if this expression is archaic or regional, heard it Kansai)

瞬く間に(またたくまに)seems exactly the one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.