One of the famous songs by Mayumi Itsuwa (五輪 真弓) is by the name さよならだけは言わないで I can't find a good translation of the name on a webpage but Google Translate suggests it means "Do not say only goodbye" and iTunes spells out the song as "Sayonaradakewa Iwanaide" as the pronunciation. Does the name of this song mean "don't only say goodbye (to me)"?

The last thing I want to do is compete with Google Translate, but "he" is wrong again.

It means "Say anything but 'good-bye'."

「~~だけは + Verb in negative form」

is a common expression meaning:

"(Verb) anything but ~~"

「ピーマンだけは食{た}べられません。」 = "I can eat anything but green peppers."

「マリアとだけは結婚{けっこん}したくない。」 = "I would marry anybody but Maria."

Because this is such a useful expression, I will close by saying:

「この表現{ひょうげん}だけは忘{わす}れないでください!」 = "Forget anything but this expression, please!"

• I suppose "Say anything but goodbye" means "Say anything except goodbye"... rather than "Say anything, but goodbye (to you) anyways" – nonopolarity Jul 20 '15 at 22:32
  • It seems to be the difference between だけは and だけ, right? – user3169 Jul 20 '15 at 22:44
  • @user3169 you mean you don't understand what it means "Say anything, but goodbye (to you) anyways" ? that means, "hey, you can saying anything (to explain), but goodbye (anyways, because I never want to see you again)." – nonopolarity Jul 21 '15 at 1:12
  • @user3169 Yes, 「さよならだけ言わないで」 or 「さよならだけを言わないで」 would mean "Don't only say goodbye" (i.e. "Say something along with goodbye"). – naruto Jul 21 '15 at 3:53
  • @太極者無極而生 No, I agree with your first comment. Sorry for making a confusion. – user3169 Jul 22 '15 at 20:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.