I was talking to my friend, and she said

きれいにとれた!

What does after an adjective mean, or what does before a verb mean?
And where can I read more about this?

Thank you

In this case, doesn't に just make きれい (a な adjective) an adverb?

きれいにとれた
You were able to take it beautifully.

• Are you asking another question as an answer? – AthomSfere Jul 20 '15 at 18:03
    You are bringing English grammar into Japanese. In Japanese, no matter how you conjugate an adjective, it still remains an adjective as a part of speech. – l'électeur Jul 20 '15 at 21:37
  • @l'électeur Very interesting. I'm by no means a competent speaker of Japanese and I only answered this question because I was pretty sure I understood the sentence. You don't by any chance know of any source where I could read about Japanese grammar from a Japanese point of view without imposing English convention (written in English)? I feel such a perspective would greatly aid my study. Thanks! – G-Cam Jul 22 '15 at 13:32
    @G-Cam The きれいに adjectivally modifies the verb 取れた, but きれいに is not an adverb but the ren'yo-kei (continuative form) of the na-adjective きれいな. (Have you learnt "ren'yo-kei"?) – Chocolate Jul 23 '15 at 9:40
  • @choco I've learned of the 連用形 in the context of verbs and verbal adjectives but not with regard to na-adjectives. My understanding was that it could be used to create compound verbs, connect sentences in a way similar to the te-form, or stand alone as a noun. So, in a phrase like "食べ過ぎる", is 食べ still considered a verb that "verbally" modifies 過ぎる? Thanks – G-Cam Jul 23 '15 at 15:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.