I saw that is correct to use が but I can't understand the differences between を and が

The difference is that "suki" is an adjectival-noun (the set of nouns which are closer in meaning to our adjectives, but function grammatically more like nouns). It stands in place of the English "to like", which is a verb -- hence the confusion.

If it helps, try thinking about "suki" as meaning "an enjoyable-to-Subject thing" rather than "I like [x]".

• There are actually some grammatical contexts where all speakers accept 〇〇を好き(だ). Also, there are some speakers who accept it in all grammatical contexts. – Darius Jahandarie Jul 16 '15 at 13:37
  • Yeah, it seems to be most acceptable when it's buried in a subclause. – Sjiveru Jul 16 '15 at 20:08

I don't know wether this is grammatically correct or not, but I would never say it, but I think :

日本語を好きになる

Sounds very natural, even though it doesn't really mean :

日本語が好きだ

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.