I don't know anything about Japanese language; I'm just researching about Japan.

I got an email that said (This is summery):

There is no meaning (concept) for sin in Japanese culture, and the shame is the only deterrence concept (means in some other countries people do not do bad things because it is sin!), and Japanese people are not familiar with the concept of sin! ... Shame is an earthy concept and sin is a divine concept.

Then I used Google to translate sin to Japanese, Google returns せずに, I found out there is translation for sin in Japanese language, but I don't know about Japanese culture....

Is the above bold statement true? Describe please

closed as unclear what you're asking by broccoli forest, Earthliŋ, l'électeur, Darius Jahandarie, HiruneDiver Jul 16 '15 at 14:44

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

While there's some problems with this question (like the doubling over related to "sin" as the Latinate preposition without), I'm not quite sure why it's meriting heavy downvoting. Could someone explain? I think the question about how the concept of sin vs. 罪 works is an interesting language-based and answerable question. – virmaior Jul 16 '15 at 5:26
    It boils down to "I don't know Japanese, but I put a word into Google Translate. Is Google Translate correct? I've made no other effort to answer my own question." I think these usually get closed as off topic. – snailboat Jul 16 '15 at 5:31
  • @virmaior: I second your opinion. – eltonjohn Jul 16 '15 at 5:36
    "I used Google to translate sin to Japanese, Google returns せずに" --> Really? translate.google.com/#en/ja/Sin – Chocolate Jul 16 '15 at 7:31
    Hey you had it translated "Spanish to Japanese"! translate.google.com/#es/ja/Sin – Chocolate Jul 16 '15 at 7:35

Actually, there are many kinds of words meaning sin([罪]{つみ}) in Japanese language.

Japanese Wikipedia has a list of links to details about each kind of 罪. https://goo.gl/ceJhFg

More than 127 million Japanese people live in Japan now. Every Japanese person has human rights and freedom. What Japanese people believe are diverse. So, the reason someone does not do bad things is a personal matter with her/his religious freedom or other kind of freedom. I think that thinking of this matter as culture is not productive if you really want to know facts.

By the way, do we(human) have only two choices, sin or shame, in deterrence concepts actually? Where is love? Where are other important things to live? How can only Japanese people lack them except shame, with a fact that each Japanese person has a human body, human brain and human heart just like people in other countries?

Anyway, both you and your friend have human rights and freedom to believe anything. I respect that. But my answer here is "No, the bold statement is not true. It's not even a fair way to analyze people in other culture."

"せずに" means "without doing." This is another instance that Google translator gives funny results.

That said:

Japanese Christian texts generally translate "sin" into "罪{つみ}". This is not very appropriate since "罪" primarily means "crime."

I guess the e-mail wants to convey something like...

As the majority of the Japanese are non-monotheistic, there is no concept of "sin" in their culture. Then how do they discipline themselves? The answer is the concept of "shame."

If you are interested in that viewpoint, I recommend you read "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword" by Ruth Benedict.

* added *

I don't know if this helps, but...

"Sin" in the monotheistic religions roughly means "failure to fulfill his/her contract with God." I don't believe the majorities of the Japanese think this to be equivalent to "罪".

• Thanks. I didn't get, You mean, the email is right? there is no concept of sin in Japanese culture? and Japanese people are not familiar the concept of sin? – M98 Jul 16 '15 at 2:33
  • @Kermani: You are welcome. And if you men "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law" by "sin", the answer is "Yes." – eltonjohn Jul 16 '15 at 2:46
  • If you know other countries culture, Is shame and sin meaning closely to gather (For Japanese)? – M98 Jul 16 '15 at 2:49
  • I think so. For the Japanese, "shame" is the feeling you have when you do something "undignified, disgraceful." (As for the cultural matter, I know Christianity well and have a modest glimpse of Judaism and Islam. Do you think I am eligible to talk about this issue?) – eltonjohn Jul 16 '15 at 3:01
  • (I voted up, but another user voted down, unfortunately) Of course you are, you know other countries and religions and other views. Thanks a lot. But please edit your answer, and answer more clearly, and describe more please. I want to send the link of your answer to the sender of that emai – M98 Jul 16 '15 at 3:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.