One of my friends has been making a real effort talking to me in Japanese every day. I wanted to say something like "If we continue at this rate I will be able to speak by Christmas". The dictionary thinks that at this rate is この分。

So my question is, is it natural correct Japanese if I say

この分に続いたら、クリスマスまで話せるようになるわよ

?

I suspect that not. It feels like there is a word missing like この分のスピードに or something like that.

There are many ways to say "at this rate" in Japanese but the more common ones are:

「この調子{ちょうし}だと/なら」、「このペースだと/なら」、「このままいけば」, etc.

Any one of these would fit your sentence with no problem.

Regarding 「この分{ぶん}」, you could use it by adding 「なら」 or 「だと」 to it, but not 「に」 as you formed it. You cannot say 「この分に続いたら」, though it was a nice try. You can say 「この分だと」.

Note: It is 「クリスマスまで」 and not 「クリスマスまで」.

~~まで = by ~~

~~まで = until ~~

Use 「まで」 and you will be saying that you are only allowed to speak Japanese until Christmas. You can speak Japanese after Christmas, too, you know.

• Thank you, especially for also pointing out the に after the まで!So you would definitely avoid the 続く? I don't know why but I keep using the wrong particles. Like e.g. using the words you gave me in your answer I would produce このペースで続いたら、。。。> . < – ナウシカ Jul 14 '15 at 10:53
    @user213845 "このペースで続いたら" >> You can say このペースで続ければ or 続けたら (using the transitive 続ける/続けた rather than the intransitive 続く/続いた). – Chocolate Jul 14 '15 at 13:34
  • @choco Oh, now I realise it's 続ける rather than 続く! Thank you so much! – ナウシカ Jul 18 '15 at 8:09

I would say

このまま続ければ、クリスマスまでには話せるようになるわよ

for

If we continue at this rate I will be able to speak by Christmas.

Caveat:"If we continue at this rate" literally (= in a verbatim fashion) translates into "私達がこの速さで(努力を)継続すれば". See 1.1 of this -> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rate .

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.