I want to talk about pop culture and anime with my friends in the near future but I definitely don't have the vocabulary.

The dictionary on "to identify" was rather unhelpful as there are other meanings of the verb in English.

How can I ask someone

Do you identify with the main character?

I guess for "main character" I can say 主人公. That was not so hard to find in the dictionary.

• Can you enlighten this (English-)illiterate? By "to identify with" do you mean 2 of this -> oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/identify ?
    – eltonjohn
    Jul 14, 2015 at 10:05
  • @eltonjohn 'to understand the character's feelings', 「自分はこのキャラクターと同じだ」という気持ちかな?
    – oals
    Jul 14, 2015 at 10:16
  • @oals: Thanks. Then she means 2.2 of oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/identify , I guess.
    – eltonjohn
    Jul 14, 2015 at 10:34
  • @eltonjohn Yes, more like 2. The precise meaning is that you feel that you are like the main character (or the main character is like you). I think this is not so clearly put in the Oxford dictionary. Jul 14, 2015 at 10:56
  • Yes, it is, sorry, only saw 2.2 just now. Jul 14, 2015 at 10:56

1 Answer 1

Provided you mean 2.2 of this -> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/identify by "to identify with", I would say

主人公に共{きょう}感{かん}できる? or  主人公に感{かん}情{じょう}移{い}入{にゅう}できる?

Caveat: the above are not verbatim translations.

• Actually, what is the word for "character"? Like if I want to ask "What's your favourite character?"? This word has a gazillion of meanings in English :-/ Jul 14, 2015 at 11:22
    @user213845: in this case I would say the word for "character" is "登{とう}場{じょう}人{じん}物{ぶつ}". So, "What's your favourite character?" would translate into "お気{き}に入{い}りの登場人物は誰{だれ}?".
    – eltonjohn
    Jul 14, 2015 at 11:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .