I want to talk about pop culture and anime with my friends in the near future but I definitely don't have the vocabulary.

The dictionary on "to identify" was rather unhelpful as there are other meanings of the verb in English.

How can I ask someone

Do you identify with the main character?

I guess for "main character" I can say 主人公. That was not so hard to find in the dictionary.

• Can you enlighten this (English-)illiterate? By "to identify with" do you mean 2 of this -> oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/identify ? – eltonjohn Jul 14 '15 at 10:05
  • @eltonjohn 'to understand the character's feelings', 「自分はこのキャラクターと同じだ」という気持ちかな? – oals Jul 14 '15 at 10:16
  • @oals: Thanks. Then she means 2.2 of oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/identify , I guess. – eltonjohn Jul 14 '15 at 10:34
  • @eltonjohn Yes, more like 2. The precise meaning is that you feel that you are like the main character (or the main character is like you). I think this is not so clearly put in the Oxford dictionary. – ナウシカ Jul 14 '15 at 10:56
  • Yes, it is, sorry, only saw 2.2 just now. – ナウシカ Jul 14 '15 at 10:56

Provided you mean 2.2 of this -> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/identify by "to identify with", I would say

主人公に共{きょう}感{かん}できる? or  主人公に感{かん}情{じょう}移{い}入{にゅう}できる?

Caveat: the above are not verbatim translations.

• Actually, what is the word for "character"? Like if I want to ask "What's your favourite character?"? This word has a gazillion of meanings in English :-/ – ナウシカ Jul 14 '15 at 11:22
    @user213845: in this case I would say the word for "character" is "登{とう}場{じょう}人{じん}物{ぶつ}". So, "What's your favourite character?" would translate into "お気{き}に入{い}りの登場人物は誰{だれ}?". – eltonjohn Jul 14 '15 at 11:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.