I am still a beginner at japanese and I have the strong feeling my title is incorrectly translated so here it is again in english:

What is the "feeling" a japanese person gets upon hearing the word 面白い.

To clarify: omoshiroi was one of the first japanese words I learned, and back then I was told it means "funny". Later "interesting" appended the list, and I never really understood the core of that word.

Lets say I want to express: "I think japanese is a very interesting language."

And I translate it to: 日本語が面白いと思います。

To me, the english word "interesting" feels very "serious", but the translations for 面白い don't suggest that very much. Jisho.org translates it to "interesting/amusing".

So, in that example sentence, did I rather say "I think japanese is interesting" ( in all seriousness ) or "I think japanese is a tad funny" ? If its the latter, which word is used to express "interesting" in all seriousness ?

When I hear:

「面白いマンガ」
「面白い冗談・ジョーク」 「面白いことを言う」
「面白い芸人」「面白い顔」「面白い服装」

I would normally think the 面白い is used as "funny", "comical", "makes you laugh", or maybe "queer", etc.

When I hear:

「このゲーム/本/映画、面白かったよ。」
「(テレビで)今日、何か面白い番組やってる?」
「ディズニーランドとユニバーサルスタジオジャパンのどっちが面白い?」
「俺と勝負しろ!」--「面白い。相手になってやろう。」
「ドイツ語の勉強は面白いです。」「大学の勉強、面白い?」
「だんだん仕事が面白くなってきた。」

I would normally think the 面白い is used as "interesting", "exciting", "fun", "enjoyable", "rewarding / worthwhile", "you like it", etc.

So I would say:

日本語は面白いと思います。

to mean "I think the Japanese language is interesting." I wouldn't think you meant "I think the Japanese language is funny" if I heard you say this.

If I heard you say:

日本文化は面白いと思います。

I would think you meant "Japanese culture is interesting/intriguing". But if I heard you say:

日本人は面白いと思います。

I might think you probably meant "Japanese people are funny." (or maybe "Japanese people are interesting/fun." depending on the context.)

What is the "feeling" a Japanese person gets upon hearing the word 面白い -> 日本人が「面白い」という言葉を聞いて得る"感覚"は何ですか?

I think Japanese is a very interesting language. -> 日本語 が/は 興{きょう}味{み}深{ぶか}い言語であると私は 思います/考えます。

FYI, Oxford English Dictionary says "interesting = arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention."

* added *

面白い can mean "interesting", but my impression is that it primarily means something is "funny."

What is the reason for downvote ?
    – Slyps
    Jul 12 '15 at 16:19
  • @Slyps: <What is the reason for downvote ?> I really would like to know, too.
    – eltonjohn
    Jul 13 '15 at 2:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.