In Japanese would 「筆店の受付」 be how to translate "a brush-shop clerk" (an employee in an administrative position at a small store that sells all kinds of brushes [probably hair brushes and paint brushes, not only calligraphy supplies])? Is 「受付」 a normal translation for a clerk?

Thank you for any help you can provide.


"受{うけ}付{つけ}" usually means "receptionist."

And we usually say "店{てん}員{いん}" for general (= not necessarily administrative) "shop clerk."

While "筆店" makes sense to mean "brush shop" as in -> arimahude.com, many Japanese brush shops seem to prefer calling themselves "筆{ふで}専{せん}門{もん}店{てん}" as in -> fudeya-shop.comor , or more fancy(?) "筆 セレクトショップ" and the like, as in -> kumanofude-selectshop.com .

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.