This question already has an answer here:

I started learning Japanese very recently. The spelling of やっぱり (yappari) seems odd to me. The second letter in やっぱり is tsu in hiragana (っ) which is not pronounced. Why?

marked as duplicate by Earthliŋ, senshin, Community Jul 11 '15 at 2:21

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Please see this question. – Earthliŋ Jul 11 '15 at 1:33
    I can't answer your question, but seeing as you are new to Japanese, you may find it interesting to know (if you don't already) that yappari is a more informal pronunciation of yahari. Also, in traditional kana usage, geminate consonants were represented by a fullsized tsu rather than a small one. I'm quite interested to know why tsu was chosen for this purpose and will do my own research... – James Edwards Jul 11 '15 at 10:40
up vote -3 down vote accepted

やっぱり = 矢{や}張{は}り.

If you pronouce 張 as ぱ, the entity would become やぱり which sounds awkward. To facilitate the pronunciation, we insert っ. For more detail look at this -> http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E4%BF%83%E9%9F%B3%E4%BE%BF.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.