What is the difference between あんまり and あまり? Please also provide me with some examples.

• This really seems to delve down to personal preference in my experience, however the more accepted way to say it is あまり – The Wandering Coder Jul 6 '15 at 14:03
  • Will this post be of some help? – Chocolate Jul 6 '15 at 15:29

They can be used interchangeably, but あんまり sounds a bit more colloquial than あまり.

Examples:

あまり関{かん}心{しん}がありません = "I'm not particularly interested"

あんまり興{きょう}味{み}がないね = "I'm not particularly interested"

* Added *

I can think of only one situation where あんまり is appropriate and あまり is not, namely

それは、あんまりだ = That's too much / too hideous / too ridiculous etc.

We don't say それは、あまりだ

• That last one does seem to be more dialect driven. I have heard それは、あまりやな~ before. However it could have been that the dialect toned down the ん sound enough that it was difficult to notice. – The Wandering Coder Jul 6 '15 at 18:36
  • < それは、あまりやな~> That's plausible, but I can't (dis)confirm, as I do not live in Kansai area. Probably @Choko can share her wisdom here. – eltonjohn Jul 7 '15 at 2:40
    関西でも、「That's too much.」「それは、ひどい。」という意味で、「それは、あまりやな~」ということはありません。やはり、「あんまり」を使います。「[そら]{HH}、[あんまりやな]{HHHHLH}。」と聞くと、「それはひどい。」または、「それは、いまいちだ。」のどちらかの意味かな、と思います。 – Chocolate Jul 8 '15 at 13:12
  • だったら、「ん」が聞きにくかったかな? – The Wandering Coder Jul 9 '15 at 11:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.