If I were to ask a native of Japan to take a picture of myself or me and the group with whom I am, is it acceptable to ask

"Shashin onegaishimasu / しゃしん おねがいします" as a shortcut instead of the things suggested here?

Note: can't yet create tag "informal", if helpful

"しゃしん おねがいします" will do.

But I would say "私{わたし}共{ども}の写{しゃ}真{しん}を撮{と}って戴{いただ}けますか?" if I don't know that native in person.

Courtesy costs you nothing.

* Added *

Of course it will do no harm to add すみません as suggested by BCLC and HiruneDiver: literally すみません means "I'm/we're sorry", but it is quite often used to mean "excuse me/us".

And The Wandering Coder's selection is acceptable, too.

More commonly and slightly less politely ranked would be 私達{わたしたち}の写真{しゃしん}を取{と}ってもらってもよろしいですか/でしょうか? – The Wandering Coder Jul 6 '15 at 14:14
    'Courtesy costs you nothing.' --> Too many syllables for my Japanese speaking comfort, IMHO. I'll add 'sumimasen' before hand though, I guess. Thanks. – BCLC Jul 6 '15 at 14:52
    「すみません、[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}っていただけませんか?」 is also common and polite. Whether you have company or not, you can use this sentence. – HiruneDiver Jul 6 '15 at 19:08
    @BCLC I think some users think it would be odd for you to say 私ども. – snailboat Jul 9 '15 at 19:15
    @snailboat Well I won't :)) – BCLC Jul 9 '15 at 19:32

(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}お[願]{ねが}いします。

would probably be understood as "Please take my/our picture", but it can also be understood as "May I take a photo of you?". To avoid confusion, you could say:

(すみません、)シャッターお[願]{ねが}いします。 
(すみません、)シャッター[押]{お}してください。

You can also say:

(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってください。
(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってくれませんか。
(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってもらえませんか。
(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってもらえますか。

You'd sound politer if you said:

すみません、[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}っていただけますか。
すみません、[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}っていただけませんか。(as @HiruneDiver suggested)
すみません、シャッターお[願]{ねが}いできますか。
すみません、シャッター[押]{お}していただけますか。
すみません、シャッター[押]{お}してもらってもいいですか。
etc.

Finally, a list of realistic and natural-sounding phrases! – l'électeur Jul 9 '15 at 12:47
  • Thanks. Is shutter a metonymy? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_(photography) – BCLC Jul 9 '15 at 17:30
  • Oh I'll probably include a gesture to me and my group. Don't wanna use too many syllables. – BCLC Jul 9 '15 at 19:32
  • @BCLC シャッター means "shutter button" --> this. シャッター押してください means "Please press the shutter button", and シャッターお願いします literally means "Shutter button, please." – Chocolate Jul 10 '15 at 13:03

If you're concerned about syllables & don't mind being super casual I'd go with 写真とっていいのか? while handing the person your camera & put グループ in front of it for the group one of course.

This sounds more like "It's okay to take a picture?!" to me... – Darius Jahandarie Jul 10 '15 at 16:55
    写真とっていいのか and handing someone a camera sounds confusing, because you're saying "Can I take a photo?" but then you're handing someone your camera... I think しゃしんおねがいします is better than what you suggested. (Also, I don't understand how the "super casual" 写真とっていいか could ever be preferable over 写真とっていいですか when approaching a stranger.) – Earthliŋ Jul 10 '15 at 16:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.