If I were to ask a native of Japan to take a picture of myself or me and the group with whom I am, is it acceptable to ask

"Shashin onegaishimasu / しゃしん おねがいします" as a shortcut instead of the things suggested here?

Note: can't yet create tag "informal", if helpful

3 Answers 3

"しゃしん おねがいします" will do.

But I would say "私{わたし}共{ども}の写{しゃ}真{しん}を撮{と}って戴{いただ}けますか?" if I don't know that native in person.

Courtesy costs you nothing.

* Added *

Of course it will do no harm to add すみません as suggested by BCLC and HiruneDiver: literally すみません means "I'm/we're sorry", but it is quite often used to mean "excuse me/us".

And The Wandering Coder's selection is acceptable, too.

More commonly and slightly less politely ranked would be 私達{わたしたち}の写真{しゃしん}を取{と}ってもらってもよろしいですか/でしょうか? Jul 6, 2015 at 14:14
    'Courtesy costs you nothing.' --> Too many syllables for my Japanese speaking comfort, IMHO. I'll add 'sumimasen' before hand though, I guess. Thanks.
    – BCLC
    Jul 6, 2015 at 14:52
    「すみません、[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}っていただけませんか?」 is also common and polite. Whether you have company or not, you can use this sentence. Jul 6, 2015 at 19:08
    @BCLC I think some users think it would be odd for you to say 私ども.
    – user1478
    Jul 9, 2015 at 19:15
    @snailboat Well I won't :))
    – BCLC
    Jul 9, 2015 at 19:32

(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}お[願]{ねが}いします。

would probably be understood as "Please take my/our picture", but it can also be understood as "May I take a photo of you?". To avoid confusion, you could say:

(すみません、)シャッターお[願]{ねが}いします。 
(すみません、)シャッター[押]{お}してください。

You can also say:

(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってください。
(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってくれませんか。
(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってもらえませんか。
(すみません、)[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}ってもらえますか。

You'd sound politer if you said:

すみません、[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}っていただけますか。
すみません、[写真]{しゃしん}[撮]{と}っていただけませんか。(as @HiruneDiver suggested)
すみません、シャッターお[願]{ねが}いできますか。
すみません、シャッター[押]{お}していただけますか。
すみません、シャッター[押]{お}してもらってもいいですか。
etc.

Finally, a list of realistic and natural-sounding phrases!
    – user4032
    Jul 9, 2015 at 12:47
  • Thanks. Is shutter a metonymy? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_(photography)
    – BCLC
    Jul 9, 2015 at 17:30
  • Oh I'll probably include a gesture to me and my group. Don't wanna use too many syllables.
    – BCLC
    Jul 9, 2015 at 19:32
  • @BCLC シャッター means "shutter button" --> this. シャッター押してください means "Please press the shutter button", and シャッターお願いします literally means "Shutter button, please."
    – Chocolate
    Jul 10, 2015 at 13:03

If you're concerned about syllables & don't mind being super casual I'd go with 写真とっていいのか? while handing the person your camera & put グループ in front of it for the group one of course.

This sounds more like "It's okay to take a picture?!" to me... Jul 10, 2015 at 16:55
    写真とっていいのか and handing someone a camera sounds confusing, because you're saying "Can I take a photo?" but then you're handing someone your camera... I think しゃしんおねがいします is better than what you suggested. (Also, I don't understand how the "super casual" 写真とっていいか could ever be preferable over 写真とっていいですか when approaching a stranger.)
    – Earthliŋ
    Jul 10, 2015 at 16:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .