I needed to translate the sentence "Mary has three part-time jobs." What's the counter for "jobs" (baito, shigoto)?

Also, how do I say that "I organized my room"?

1. You can use ふたつ、みっつ... for counting アルバイト or 仕事:

メアリーは、3つ(アル)バイト/仕事を[掛]{か}け[持]{も}ちしている。
or (アル)バイト/仕事を3つ掛け持ちしている。
メアリーは、仕事を3つ持っている。
メアリーは、バイトを3つやっている。etc...

Alternatively, you can also use 2か所で、3か所で... (at 2 places, 3 places...):

メアリーは、[3]{さん}か[所]{しょ}で(アル)バイト/仕事(を)している。

1. How about:

部屋を[片]{かた}づけた。/ 部屋の片づけをした。
or
部屋を[整理]{せいり}した。/ 部屋を整理[整頓]{せいとん}した。

• 1. So hitotsu futatsu and nika sanka are used whenever the counted has no counter of its own? – holyeyeolo Jul 6 '15 at 13:08
    @user1998628 The counter in 2か所【しょ】 is not か, but か所【しょ】. You can use 一つ【ひとつ】・二つ【ふたつ】 for things that don't have a counter of their own, but [一か所]【いっかしょ】・[二か所]【にかしょ】 are exclusively for places (hence 所, which means "place"). – senshin Jul 6 '15 at 16:18
  • I see, I confused it a bit there since Genki II teaches a specific way of counting. Thank you for all the answers :) – holyeyeolo Jul 7 '15 at 9:24

I guess "Mary has three part-time jobs." would be translated into "Mary はパートを3件{けん}掛{か}け持{も}ちしている。"

(I am not inclined toward the use of パート to indicate part-time jobs, though .)

As for "I organized my room," I guess @Choko's answer "部屋を片づけた" will do.

• I have always understood it as 仕事 - Full-Time Work, パート - Part-Time Work, (アル)バイト - Casual Work – The Wandering Coder Jul 6 '15 at 14:10
  • All I can say is the distinction between パート and (アル)バイト is not so strict or "rigourous" as one may want it to be. Here is an opinion -> framgang.net/archives/1730.html. – eltonjohn Jul 7 '15 at 3:05
  • When I consulted Hello Work (MoHLW), they have made the distinction between both パート and バイト . Even your link makes an attempt at a difference when considering working hours (by law a バイト is only required to work 2 hours a shift) which wasn't in your link. The difference a lot of companies make seems to be the difference between 正社員 and 派遣社員 combined with working hours. バイト are flexible non-permanent, contract staff working 2+ hours a shift any time of the day. パート(タイム) can be either non-permanent, contract staff or permanent staff usually working during normal business hours... – The Wandering Coder Jul 9 '15 at 11:11
  • ...(with the exclusion of some contract staff which may be contracted to work after hours) and who have hours less than or equal to a full time staff member. Then you have 仕事 or フルタイム which consists of usually working during normal business hours as a permanent employee. Also weighing in to the difference is termination. Being terminated when doing a バイト can be an instantaneous firing with no additional compensation whereas a パート usually gets some restitution for being fired according to either their contract or their companies rules. – The Wandering Coder Jul 9 '15 at 11:12
  • Legally, full-time workers get 3 months of job seeking help as well as 1 -3 months pay as a severance (there are also additional bonuses and protection full-time staff get upon severance not listed here). – The Wandering Coder Jul 9 '15 at 11:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.